Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Learning Chinese (1920)


In further describing her time at the International Language School, Anna Bog wrote:

"After being welcomed in Dairen and Port Arthur, I began studying the language in Peking and continued there for four months, until summer vacation.

"I had heard at home how difficult it could be to learn Chinese; but that was not the case in the language school in Peking, where all the modern teaching methods are employed every day. We found only delight in progressively closing in on the language.

"We were at the same time introduced to the religions, history, and geography of China (by means of weekly lectures).

"During those first months, I also taught an English class at K.F.U.M. [the Danish Y.M.C.A.] and assisted with a Bible class for young men from the Peking Academy.

"I spent the summer in Southern Manchuria, where I visited many of our [mission] stations. Then beginning once again with autumn, I continued my language study for another three months in Peking. And, on December 17, I took the first year examination. After that, I went up to Siuyen to celebrate Christmas with the missionaries and the [Chinese] Christians. It was a wonderful festival! Here in the country, where nature is so beautiful, but far from the robust, vibrant urban life, is where God has placed me to shape me into a useful tool in His hands for the people, for whom I cannot be anything other than love."

In Siuyen, where she was assigned, Anna Bog continued to study the Chinese language daily, with a private teacher, Mr. Tung. He was a Chinese Christian. In early 1922, Anna Bog had this to say about Mr. Tung, referring to the photograph above:

"Do you not think that he looks very kind? He is Mr. Tung, my elderly language teacher. He has been a Christian approximately five years. He has made great progress in every respect, knows the Bible, both the Old and the New Testament, and he is ardent for the Kingdom of God. We are always blessed when Mr. Tung leads Bible classes or on occasion is called upon to preach on a Sunday. He is a holy man. I remain silent, withhold my own wisdom, and allow Mr. Tung to develop his deep, clear ideas. He is an aged, kind, erudite Chinese. With his help, my language study has been a wonderful, rich time. The picture was taken on the veranda following our morning hour together."

No comments: