Tuesday, December 15, 2009

In Storm and in Stillness (Christmas, 1919)


This December is the 90th anniversary of Anna Bøg's departure from Denmark for China aboard the Annam. She embarked on December 6, 1919. Our readers will remember the long letter from Anna Bøg to her relatives in Odense that we published in the posts The Voyage to China (1919) and The Voyage Continues.

On Christmas Day, 1919, Anna Bøg wrote the following letter to the Danish Missionary Society:
"Mediterranean, MS Annam, Christmas Day 1919

"Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." [Ps. 121:4.]

"God has given me a lovely Christmas here on the Mediterranean's deep blue band -- in the evening under the bright stars, and by day under God's warm sun. I'm the only believer on board, as far as I can tell at present, but I am not alone in any meaningful sense of the word. I feel every day that God is with me, and so I think of all of God's people, the great host of Christians, of which I too am a small part, and of the special friends that I was able to meet in Denmark and whom I am still filled with joy to think about. How good God is!

"I am journeying as 'God's volunteer', and it has until now been a wonderful journey, both along Spain's and Portugal's beautiful mountainous coasts and not the least here in the Mediterranean Sea, along Africa's coast, where most days we have seen land. We have had many right storm-filled days, yet in both storm and in stillness the sea has been lovely.

"Tomorrow we expect to be in Port Said, and if possible I will seek out the missionaries there. And from there I will send to all D.M.S.'s dear friends a hearty New Year's greeting, with 2 Chron. 14.11: 'Lord, it is nothing with thee to help, whether with many, or with them that have no power'.

"I am happy to be sent out as a missionary to China by you.

"Affectionate greetings,

"Anna Bøg Madsen"
Source:
Bøg-Madsen, Anna; "Rejsehilsen"; Dansk Missionsblad, Vol. unknown, Issue unknown; February 15, 1920, p. 110. Translation by Marie-Jacqueline.
All D.M.S. materials used with permission

Image:
Sunrise and rain over the Mediterranean seen from the Greek Island of Kythnos, from Wikimedia Commons. Some rights reserved.

No comments: